Monday, February 18, 2008

Working Hard

Last week we put aside our normal phonics, spelling and math lessons.  The girls did some fun Valentine's Day lessons instead.  I was really impressed with how many words Lulu could spell from a Valentine's sentence.  She filled up her entire sheet with no help.  We did some "living math".  (I implemented some ideas from Cindy)  I gave each girl a bag of Kissables.  They estimated how many of each color (pink/white/red, of course), sorted their piles, and made a graph of the actual amount.  Then they found the difference between their estimations and their actual amounts.  It was a lot of fun to add something different in for a change. 

We also learned about Jupiter.  I think after we finish all the planets I am going to have the girls pick one planet to do a presentation on.  I'm open for ideas as to what all I could have them do for this (1st and 2nd grade).



In history we started learning about the bubonic plague.  When I was reading about the rats, their ears perked up.  Lulu said, "That's what happened in Little House on the Prairie."



Lil started a number book.  She is learning to recognize 1, 2, and 3.  She also played with counting bears.  She is very good at sorting!

No comments:

Post a Comment