Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Recipe for Success



It is also National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day! So share a recipe…figuratively, as in two parts love, one part creativity, or literally, as in a super quick, nutritious meal your kids scarf up. Think about what you do in the day, what helps keep it organized and you sane (or how you got past that need for organization and saneness!), and curriculum materials you find effective.

My "recipe" for an organized, sane day calls for:

1.  A full serving of the Word of God.  If I miss this, my day will not be "organized" or "sane".  But if I have my serving and have it to the fullest then my day will fall into place one way or another.  It may not always happen the way I think or plan for it to, but stuff gets done.  The Lord knows what stage of life we are in.  He knows that we have many different plates to serve throughout our days.  He is gracious to meet us where we are.  I may not always be able to work in my local soup kitchen, help with that great new ministry at church, volunteer at the hospital, cook meals for friends, etc., etc.  Right now my number one ministry is to my husband and my girls.  I can do those other things as time allows, but only when it does not take away from my main ministry.  God ordained the family before the church.  Sometimes we get that out of order. And we have all heard well meaning people say, "But you're home ALL DAY."  They do not understand and that's okay.  We know in our hearts that we are doing what God has called us to do. 

2.  The ability to say "No". 

3.  Labels, labels, and more labels.  I do not feel like I am not really that organized.  However, I do have lots of labels on tubs, drawers, and notebooks.

4.  Fun!

5.  Lesson plans.  I used to plan day by day and it drove me crazy.  I am now to the point where I make up my lesson plans a couple weeks at a time.

6.  Be flexible.  Even though I do the lesson plans I do  not stress if the plans get rearranged or even canceled.

7.  Fun!

8.  Last, but certainly not least, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!

When all of this is thrown in the pot it usually produces happy children and happy parents.  We have our days like everyone else.  But overall our family is a blessing to each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment