Friday, January 25, 2008

More of Him

I used to always struggle with my daily devotion time.  It just always seemed like I would get side tracked when I got up or overslept and the day was already going.  I knew it was necessary for me to set time aside specifically for the Lord.  But doing it was another thing. 

Over the past few years I feel like I have finally got it.  That doesn't mean that I still don't have my days.  I think we all do.  We are all a work in progress.  None of us have arrived yet.  But it certainly is more a part of my daily routine now.  I force myself to get up when my husband does.  Some days the girls get up early too, but they know now that if I'm doing my Bible study they need to occupy themselves until I'm finished.  It makes such a huge difference in my day when I begin it in His Word.

I finished reading Beth Moore's book, Breaking Free, last week.  I knew a lot of what she said already but it was nice to refresh my memory on some points.  Taking our thoughts captive to Christ is so important.  Satan sends so many ungodly messages our way each day.  We have to be ready to take them captive and not allow those thoughts to take us captive.  I used to always struggle with the fear of being alone.  Last year my husband was away for several weeks due to work and there were a couple nights that I had true panic attacks.  It was awful.  I have always prayed about my fear, but never really felt like anything changed.  After those really bad nights, I began praying a different way.  I still asked for God's total deliverance of my fears and I added in for my thoughts to be the thoughts of Christ.  I am so much better today than I was then.  I can stay by myself now without the overwhelming dread of nighttime. 

God is so good. Whatever we need of Him, if we ask, He will give it to us.  We just have to remember that God works on His time table and not ours.  God used those insecurities that were in me to teach me many lessons.  He will allow us to go through things that are hard in order to make us stronger. 

Psalm 19:14  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Your sight, O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer."

No comments:

Post a Comment