Sunday, March 30, 2008

Looking Back



Share your personal history…before you were a home educator. What was life like? Think about things you miss and things you and your family have gained.

Before I became a homeschooling mom I worked at an equine adjusting company.  It was a fun job and very interesting.  I was able to assist on claims for animals belonging to Joe Montana and Michael Jackson.  I had horse claims come across my desk worth millions of dollars.  When I was home there were no thoughts of curriculum, art supplies, schedules, etc.  I would sit down at the computer and think, “What can I look up?”.  Now my list of things to “look up” never seems to end. 

Since I have to name something that I miss I will say the interaction with other adults.  I am so thankful to have a great co-op, but once a week is not the same as every day.  I suppose I should say I miss the extra paycheck.  But in reality we spent it all anyway.

My family and I have gained so much more than we miss by making the choice to homeschool.  We have gained being with each other.  I love being with my girls.  I would not change our lifestyle for a six figure income. I would not change it for fancy clothes.  I would not even change it for a bigger house.  For some of you, I know that is hard to believe.  You know how much I desire a bigger house.  But all of those things will one day pass through the fire and be burned up.  The time I take now to sow into my girls’ lives with never burn up.  God has promised me in Proverbs 22:6 that if I train them in the way they should go, when they are older they will not depart from it. I stand firm on that promise. 

Oops…back to what we have gained.  We have also gained so much knowledge.  I am excited about the things that I am learning…again.  It is so rewarding to be able to watch the light bulb go on in my girls’ minds.  I also really love being home and having the time to keep the house picked up, being able to greet my husband when he comes home from work, being able to take the day off if something comes up at the last minute…  The list could go on and on.  But the main point is the gain far outweighs the loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment