Saturday, July 24, 2010

Strawberry Jam

Gardening has become a great hobby for us.  Each year we expand and try more.  Our second year of gardening we also started canning.  James’ grandmother canned everything.  I don’t remember my grandmothers canning that much, but I’m sure they did.  We want our girls to leave our home knowing how to grow and save their own food.  I am going to share our experience of canning strawberry jam.

We always begin any canning process by sterilizing our jars and lids.  The water needs to reach 180 degrees.

SANY0544

First, wash the strawberries and cut the stems and any bad spots off.  Don’t they look yummy!

 SANY0547

Second,  smash the strawberries.  The was James’ job this time.

 SANY0545

Next, add one box of Pectin to 4 cups of strawberries.  We also added 1/4 tsp. of butter.  Bring to a rolling boil.

 SANY0548

Then add 7 cups of sugar and boil for exactly 1 minute.

 SANY0546

Finally fill jars and process in a water bath canner for 10 minutes.  The result is yum, yum, yum!

SANY0549

So far this year we have canned 72 quarts of green beans, 24 half pints of strawberry jam, 9 half pints of blackberry jam, 14 quarts of tomato juice, 3 pints of pickles, and 5 pints of banana peppers.  They are beautifully placed at the top of my cabinets.

SANY0554

SANY0555

SANY0556

3 comments:

  1. You go, girl! We lost almost our entire garden this year to vine borers and powdery mildew. Worst garden we've ever had. Oh well, there's always next year. And it wasn't a total wash-out, I've canned a frozen a few things.

    See you at the park Tuesday - really!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I am glad you will be able to make it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys are having a great year. :) Our garden isn't doing to well this year. I also had my canned foods on top of my cabinets last year. They look so pretty there. When my aunt came over she said I probably needed to move them somewhere not so hot. I did remember my grandmother always had them in a cabinet or covered but I thougt that was just because of space. So I looked it up and it is recommended that if they are going to be kept for longer than a couple months, that they be in cool dry place. One of the site I used:(http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#5) Just thought I'd mention it to you. :) I did think about keeping some on top of my cabinets just to look pretty but decided we like to eat them too much...LOL

    ReplyDelete